Black Velvet is a celebration of Charles Bradley, lovingly assembled by his friends and family at Dunham/Daptone Records. Though chronologically the material spans Charles' entire career, this is no anthology, "greatest hits" or other shallow rehashing of the songs that already made him famous. Rather, this album is a profound exploration through the less-traveled corners of the soulful universe that Charles and his longtime producer, co-writer and friend Thomas "TNT" Brenneck created in the studio together over their decade-long partnership.
It features new songs recorded during the sessions from each of his three albums, heard here for the very first time in all their scorching glory: "Can't Fight the Feeling," "Fly Little Girl" and the heart-wrenching "I Feel a Change"; hard core rarities like his funk-bomb duet with LaRose Jackson, "Luv Jones," the psychedelic groover, "(I Hope You Find) The Good Life" and the ever-illusive alternate full band electric version of "Victim of Love"; sought-after covers of Nirvana's "Stay Away," Neal Young's "Heart of Gold" and Rodriguez' "Slip Away"; and the title track "Black Velvet," a stirring Menahan Street Band instrumental to which Charles was never able to cut a vocal. Black Velvet is destined to join Bradely's first three albums alongside the cannon of essential soul records for the ages.
As a one-time pressing for the super-fan comes a gorgeous black velvet wrapped box set that includes the following: 180g vinyl version of the standard LP, a bonus 12" 45rpm EP with stripped down mixes of four Bradley classics, an exclusive slip-mat, 2 printed heavy-duty inner sleeves sporting a surreal painting of Charles and the interview in which he explains the origin of the painting, a 12" x 12" photo-book with extensive liner notes from TNT, an exact replica of Charles' original "Black Velvit" business card, and last but certainly not least...a seeded DL Card (once you've retrieved your DL, you can plant the card and wildflowers will grow in memory of Charles).
• One-time pressing Deluxe Edition Box Set
• 180g vinyl version of the standard LP
• Bonus 12" 45rpm EP with stripped down mixes of 4 Charles Bradley classics
• Exclusive slip-mat
• 2 printed heavy-duty inner sleeves featuring a surreal painting of Charles and the interview in which he explains the origin of the painting
• 12" x 12" photo book with extensive liner notes from producer Tommy 'TNT' Brenneck
• Exact replica of Charles' original "Black Velvit" business card
• Seeded digital download card (once you're retrieved your download, you can plant the card and wildflowers will grow in memory of Charles